17th Blue Plaque St. Paul’s High School
The historic and reputable Basic Education High School (6) Botahtaung received Yangon Heritage Trust’s 17th commemorative Blue Plaque on March 2, 2017. Formerly known as St. Paul’s High School, it is one of the oldest schools in Yangon and located at the corner of Anawrahta Road and Theinbyu Road.
The prestigious school is a prime example of a substantial 19th Century missionary school and was once part of a large mission compound that encompassed St. Mary’s, the biggest Roman Catholic cathedral in Myanmar.
St. Paul’s High School was founded by Bishop Paul Bigandet, who served in Yangon from 1856 until 1894 to promote education and Christianity, together with the services of three De La Salle Brothers from Calcutta (now Kolkata). After foundation of St. Patrick’s school in Mawlamyaing in April 1860, the brothers came to Yangon and set up a school in a humble wooden building near the bishop’s residence which was on Barr Street (now Maharbandula Park Street).
Within just a couple of years, the school had outgrown its small premises and was moved to its present site in 1886. Between 1900 and 1908, two new wings, which were designed by then famous architect Thomas Swales, were added and later in the 1930s, a study hall and refectory were extended. Lessons were taught in English and St. Paul’s has produced many prominent leaders, intellects, and artists. Deedok U Ba Cho, one of the martyrs assassinated in 1947 along with General Aung San in the Secretariat across the road, was also one of the school’s many famous alumni.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink