To read full press releases, please click on the heading.
To schedule an interview, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
July 18, 2017
YHT is honoured to cooperate in conservation of historic Secretariat
YANGON: YHT has been very pleased and honoured to play a part in the protection and restoration of Yangon’s historic Secretariat these past several years. From its inception in 2012, YHT have made the Secretariat a focus of its work and aims. In 2012, when YHT was created, the Government of Myanmar had already awarded a lease of the site to the Anawmar Group. YHT discussed the future of the site with both the Government and the Anawmar Group. At the request of the Government, YHT wrote a Conservation Management Plan for the Secretariat in September 2015.
May 16, 2017
Commemorative Blue Plaque is installed at Yangon Stock Exchange (formerly Union Bank of Burma)
YANGON: The splendid neoclassical style Yangon Stock Exchange (YSX) today received the commemorative Yangon City Heritage Blue Plaque. The Blue Plaque at YSX marked Yangon Heritage Trust’s 18th plaque.
Located on the corner of Sule Pagoda Road and Merchant Road, the building was originally designed to house the Reserve Bank of India and completed in March 1939. Before the construction of Reserve Bank, the site was occupied by the Recorder’s Court
March 2, 2017
Commemorative Blue Plaque is installed at BEHS (6) Botahtaung
YANGON: The historic and reputable Basic Education High School (6) Botahtaung received Yangon Heritage Trust’s 17th commemorative Blue Plaque today. Formerly known as St. Paul’s High School, it is one of the oldest schools in Yangon and located at the corner of Anawrahta Road and Theinbyu Road. The prestigious school is a prime example of a substantial 19th Century missionary school and was once part of a large mission compound that encompassed St. Mary’s, the biggest Roman Catholic cathedral in Myanmar.
January 20, 2017
Blue Plaque unveils at Bogyoke Aung San Market
YANGON: Yangon Heritage Trust’s 16th commemorative Blue Plaque was unveiled today at Bogyoke Aung San Market which is located on Bogyoke Aung San Street (formerly Commissioner Road).
Since its opening in 1926, Bogyoke Market has been a place for Yangon residents to shop the latest fashion materials, art supplies, souvenirs and a place to hang out for leisure. Nowadays, it is not only an important marketplace for the city residents but also an attraction for international tourists.
October 28, 2016
YWCA building receives commemorative blue plaque installation
YANGON: The prestigious and historic Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) building on Bogalay Zay Street (Brooking Street) today received YHT’s 15th commemorative Blue Plaque. The YWCA is the oldest women’s organization in Myanmar and has been serving people from all walks of life with various development projects/programs for women to become empowered and serves the communities as change makers.
September 27, 2016
YHT launches new conservation and urban planning strategy
YANGON: The Yangon Heritage Trust today unveiled its eagerly-awaited “Yangon Heritage Strategy”. The 150 page document, complete with many maps and illustrations, outlines the Trust’s vision and strategy towards making Yangon Asia’s most liveable city through sustainable development and heritage conservation. It also includes 24 “Action Plans” on issues ranging from the expansion of green spaces to improved streetscapes to downtown Yangon as a future international hub for arts and culture.
June 19, 2016
YHT hopes France-Myanmar cooperation in Urban Planning
YANGON: Yangon Heritage Trust’s founder and chairman, Dr Thant Myint-U, met visiting French Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Development Jean-Marc Ayrault this morning in Yangon during his official visit to the country. They firstly met at the U Thant House and discussed about U Thant’s life and his continuing legacy both in Myanmar and around the world. Then they visited the Secretariat and walked downtown from the Armenian Church to the offices of the Yangon Heritage Trust on Pansodan road.
June 9, 2016
Singaporean Prime Minister tours downtown Yangon
YANGON: Yangon Heritage Trust’s founder and chairman, Dr Thant Myint-U, met Singapore Prime Minister Mr Lee Hsien Loong this morning at the old Secretariat during his visit in Yangon. In the Secretariat compound, they visited the former Parliament chamber and the room where General Aung San and his colleagues were assassinated in 1947. Later Dr Thant Myint-U accompanied the Prime Minister in a drive through downtown Yangon to Mahabandoola Park and then viewed the city together from the roof of the Sakura Tower.
June 5, 2016
Blue Plaque unveils at Jewish Synagogue
YANGON: A commemorative Blue Plaque was installed at the Jewish Synagogue in Pabedan Township in downtown Yangon today. The Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue was built in Yangon in 1893-96 to replace a wooden structure from 1854. The Jewish community of approximately 2,500 was a respected presence in business and a valued part of local society. As of today, there are only a handful of Jews in Yangon.
May 30, 2016
Indian Embassy building received blue plaque installation
YANGON: Today one of the YHT’s blue plaques was installed at the Indian Embassy building on Merchant Road in Kyauktada Township in downtown Yangon. This is the first Indian heritage building in Yangon to receive blue plaque in recognition for their significant role in the city’s history.
April 29, 2016
“Living Restoration” on Merchant Street urban renewal project opens to public
YANGON: After ten months of extensive restoration, a heritage building on the Merchant Street in Yangon’s Downtown is going to be exhibited to the public from April 30. The two-storied colonial building which is home to around 80 people and a mix of commercial and residential uses in Kyauktada Township will be accessible by public until July 31.
April 7, 2016
Italian Foreign Minister visits YHT
YANGON: Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni today visited Yangon Heritage Trust and met the Trust’s Founder and Chairman, during his trip to Myanmar. Mr Paolo Gentiloni and Chairman Dr Thant Myint-U discussed efforts at heritage conservation in Yangon and its relation to broader urban planning at YHT’s offices in downtown Yangon.
April 6, 2016
YHT hosts Canadian FM’s visit to historic downtown Yangon
YANGON: The Honourable Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today, visited the historic downtown ofYangon including the office of Yangon Heritage Trust on the first day of his visit to Myanmar.
The Minister took a tour inside the former Secretariat and its compound, visited a renovation project site on the Merchant street and walked down Pansodan street as part of his visit.
March 28, 2016
YHT welcomes Yangon’s new Chief Minister
YANGON: Yangon Heritage Trust warmly congratulates U Phyo Min Thein on his appointment today as the new Chief Minister of Yangon Region. The regional parliament for the Yangon Region approved U Phyo Min Thein who is the elected member of regional parliament representing the National League of Democracy in a constituency of Hlegu Township.
December 21, 2015
Blue Plaque unveils at Maha Bandoola Park
YANGON: A commemorative blue plaque was unveiled today at the Maha Bandoola Park which is located in Kyauktada Township between the Maha Bandoola road and Merchant road. The park is one of the sites which has played critically in the history of the city and also important to the residents. It is adjacent to the famous Sule Pagoda and opposite of the Yangon City hall.
September 18, 2015
Blue Plaque unveils at historic Lokanat Building
YANGON: As one of the historic prestigious buildings in Yangon, Lokanat building, which is located at the corner of Pansodan and Merchant road, received blue plaque commemoration today. This Italianate style building which was built around 1906 is famous for its tenant on the first floor, the Lokanat Art Gallery where the original tiles imported from Manchester over a hundred years ago, are still in place. It is now occupied by the Internal Revenue Department and a variety of private businesses.
August 12, 2015
Renovation starts at a heritage apartment in Yangon’s Historic Downtown
YANGON: Renovation started at a heritage building in Yangon’s Downtown as the project has started in July with the partnership of Yangon Heritage Trust and an international NGO Turquoise Mountain. The restoration project which will run from the beginning of July 2015 for nine months forms part of a wider planning project for the historic Downtown area of Yangon, being undertaken by the Yangon Heritage Trust in partnership with the Prince of Wales’ Foundation, and funded by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, and Alphawood Foundation through Global Heritage Fund.
August 9, 2015
Central Press building receives Blue Plaque commemoration ahead of renovation
YANGON: Government Central Press building in Yangon received the seventh Blue Plaque commemoration today. Over a century old building which is located at the corner of Thein Byu road and Anawrahta road in Botahtaung township is one of the listed heritage buildings of Yangon standing in good condition.
July 8, 2015
YHT welcomes the Government’s decision to cancel projects adjacent to Shwedagon
YANGON: Yangon Heritage Trust welcomes the government’s decision to cancel development projects in the former National Defense College and No (1) Motor Transport Battalion (War Office) Compound adjacent to Shwedagon Pagoda in Dagon Township.
July 06, 2015
Project for Capacity Building of the YCDC Urban Planning Unit completed
YANGON: The project for Capacity Building of the Yangon City Development Committee (YCDC) Urban Planning Unit which was jointly implemented by YCDC, Myanmar Egress and Yangon Heritage Trust (YHT) was successfully completed last week.
June 19, 2015
YHT Chairman awarded 26th Fukuoka Grand Prize
YANGON: The Founder and Chairman of Yangon Heritage Trust, Dr Thant Myint-U has been awarded the 26th Fukuoka Grand Price for the year 2015. The Fukuoka Prize Committee officially announced the award today saying that Dr. Thant Myint-U is a distinguished intellectual of 21st century Asia, narrating the voices of the people of Myanmar and connecting them with the wider international community.
June 17, 2015
Myanmar Agricultural Bank receives Blue Plaque commemoration
The sixth commemorative Blue Plaque of Yangon was installed in the Myanmar Agricultural Bank on Pansodan road in Kyauktada township today. Built in 1930, this building originally served as the Yangon branch of Grindlay’s Bank and it was turned into National Museum in 1970. Myanmar’s modern banking system is one of the oldest in Asia, and international banks have been present in Yangon since the 1850s.
May 29, 2015
Blue Plaque installed at General Post Office
YANGON: A commemorative blue plaque was installed at the Yangon’s General Post Office on the Strand road today. This is the fifth plaque of Yangon following the City Hall, AYA Bank (former Rowe & Co Department Store), Armenian Church and Central Fire Station.
May 26, 2015
Yangon residents to reveal the value of heritage
YANGON: With the assistance of the New Zealand government, Yangon Heritage Trust initiates a major project aiming to understand what Yangon residents value on their local environment through direct consultation this month.