Formerly St. Mary Girls’ School received a Blue Plaque
January 11, 2020
Yangon’s 35th Blue Plaque was unveiled at Basic Education High School No. (1) Pabedan (formerly St. Mary’s Diocesan Girls’ High School), located at Shwedagon Pagoda Road, Pabedan Township, this morning. The installation ceremony was attended by the Chief Minister of Yangon Region Government U Phyo Min Thein, Deputy Mayor of Yangon City Development Committee U Soe Lwin and invited guests.
The school which is now known as B.E.H.S (1) Pabedan was one of the earliest girls only school in Yangon. The school was established in 1866 by the noted Anglican missionary the Rev. Dr. J.E. Marks. From its founding in 1866, St. Mary’s was a leading girl’s school. The school was nationalized in 1965 and restructured as Basic Education High School No. (1), Pabedan.