The Yangon Heritage Trust Awards for Heritage Conservation recognise the achievement of sustainable and sympathetic conservation of structures, places, properties and public space of heritage value in Yangon.
The Awards shall be given to winners determined by the jury in the following categories;
- Best Restoration – This award is given to those outstanding projects that have repaired, restored and reused a heritage building well in line with its original use.
- Best Adaptive Reuse – This award is given to those outstanding projects that have carefully adapted, added to or created a new building close to, a heritage place using good design and care for its original features.
The format and number of awards may be varied at the discretion of the Yangon Heritage Trust and the jury. Each winner will receive a trophy and a certificate. The awards will be made out in the exact name stated on the nomination form.
The nominated project can be –
- Buildings, interiors or places with heritage value older than 40 years
- The project can be private or governmental project, with conservation work completed within the preceding 5 years by private owners/developers, international or local organizations, or government, or as a result of public/private partnerships
The nominated project –
- shows an understanding of the place’s heritage significance, and has utilised good workmanship, materials and project management to undertake a faithful restoration of the building. (for Best Restoration Award)
- shows an understanding of, and is sympathetic to, the place’s heritage significance and has utilised good design, workmanship, materials and project management to create identifiable and harmonious adaptations. (for Best Adaptive Reuse Award)
- Has a positive social impact and public awareness by following municipal by-laws and correct regulatory permissions, with public access/visibility.
- Carefully designed to fit with surrounding heritage character where new architecture is included
- One or more submissions by registered owner, architect or design team, registered lessee or conservation consultant who have been involved in the design/implementation
- Following material to be included with the nomination:
- Completed Nomination Form – Download here.
- Photographs of exterior/interior (images before/after conservation if available)
- Drawings, full list in A3
- Elevation/section plan drawings showing where changes have been made to original (if available)
- Use of YHT logo only with written permission
- Following the nomination, Yangon Heritage Trust has the right to use entry materials for promotion, display, publication and communication related to the awards without charge.