7th Blue Plaque (Central Press)
Government Central Press building in Yangon received the seventh Blue Plaque commemoration on August 10, 2015.
With the façade design drawn by a well-known Scottish Architect John Begg, construction of the site started in 1909 and completed in 1912 with additional amenities such as electrical lifts, stabling and servants’ quarters. The Government Central Press began as a distribution point for government stationary brought from India and later printed materials such as the exhaustive census reports and gazetteers.
After the Independence and during the Socialist Era, the Government Central Press expanded into neighbouring premises in order to meet the increased demand of many new ministries, government departments, boards and corporations that emerged after Independence. The entire compound was subsequently renamed the Government Printing and Stationary Department. Modern printing machines were imported and employees were sent abroad for training at institutions in Australia. The building later served as the Office for the Minister of Information. This building is still owned by the Ministry which maintains some offices here.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink