5th Blue Plaque (General Post Office)
A commemorative blue plaque was installed at the Yangon’s General Post Office on the Strand road on May 29, 2015. This is the fifth plaque of Yangon following the City Hall, AYA Bank (former Rowe & Co Department Store), Armenian Church and Central Fire Station.
Located at the corner of Bo Aung Kyaw Street and the Strand road, the General Post Office is one of the listed heritage buildings compiled by Yangon City Development Committee. It is also one of the finest examples of architectural heritage and an attraction for international visitors by its rows of Lancet-arched windows, the beaux-arts portico and double-winged stairways in the foyer. The postal service in Yangon started as a small-scale enterprise in 1854. The original post office was at the corner of Strand Road and 32nd Street, where the Six-storey Office Complex is currently located. The building was badly damaged during 1930 earthquake. Then the British government bought current premises together with the adjoining plot behind it to convert into a new General Post Office in 1936.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink