A commemorative Blue Plaque was installed outside Yangon’s oldest surviving church, the Armenian Apostolic Church of St.John the Baptist on October 1, 2014.
The Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, His Holiness Karekin II, attended the plaque unveiling ceremony at the church, located on the corner of Merchant Street and Bo Aung Kyaw Street. Distinguished by its tropical architecture combined with Gothic features, the Armenian Apostolic Church of St. John the Baptist is the oldest church surviving in Yangon. The first Armenian Church was built in 1766 by Gregory Avas and was located near the river, where its plain wooden spire was visible from afar. In 1852, the British chose Yangon as the capital of Burma and constructed a new city with a modern grid plan. Like other religious sites, a free grant of land was allotted to the Armenian community at the corner of Merchant Street and Sparks Street (renamed Bo Aung Kyaw Street after Independence). Their second church was named St. John the Baptist and was consecrated on January 17th, 1863.