The splendid neoclassical style Yangon Stock Exchange (YSX) received the commemorative Yangon City Heritage Blue Plaque on 16 May 2017. The Blue Plaque at YSX marked Yangon Heritage Trust’s 18th plaque.
Located on the corner of Sule Pagoda Road and Merchant Road, the building was originally designed to house the Reserve Bank of India and completed in March 1939. Before the construction of Reserve Bank, the site was occupied by the Recorder’s Court.
The Reserve Bank of India was established in 1935 and Yangon’s branch was opened in 1937, the same year Burma was separated from India. During the Japanese Occupation, the building was used as People’s Bank of Burma and there issued Japanese banknotes.
After the Independence in 1948, the building became home to newly established Union Bank of Burma. The first Kyats were issued here in 1st July 1952. The bank was restructured as Central Bank of Myanmar in 1990 and relocated to Yankin Township in 1993.
Then, Myawaddy Bank occupied the premises for several years before the country’s first Yangon Stock Exchange was opened on 9th December 2015. Stock trading was begun on 25th March 2016.