14th Blue Plaque (Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue)


Synagogue Picture 1a
A commemorative Blue Plaque was installed at the Jewish Synagogue in Pabedan Township in downtown Yangon on June 5, 2016.  In 1893-96, the Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue was built in Yangon to replace a wooden structure from 1854.  For more than 35 years, the Samuels family has taken care of the synagogue, cemetery, and what remains of the community. Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue is the only Synagogue in the world that used to have 126 Torah Scroll. But many families took their own Torah when they left the country and now there are only 2 left.  These 2 Torahs are originally from Baghdad and over 100 year old.  Jewish Community of Myanmar hosted interfaith dialogue at the Synagogue and their Annual Holiday – Hanukkah (Festival of Lights) was attended by religious leaders from Muslim, Bahá’í, Hindu, Buddhist and Christian.

content_Myanmar2


 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.