One of the YHT’s blue plaques was installed at the Indian Embassy building on Merchant Road in Kyauktada Township on May 30, 2016.
This is the first Indian heritage building in Yangon to receive blue plaque in recognition for their significant role in the city’s history. Completed in 1914, the building was originally constructed as the offices of the Calcutta-based insurance firm, Oriental Life Assurance Company. Since 1957, the building has been occupied by the Indian Embassy and plays a vital role in the revival of Indian culture in Yangon by hosting a number of cultural events. It was renovated in 1999-2000.
The five story building is one of the tallest heritage buildings in Yangon. The original company’s signage can still be seen on the Merchant Road façade of the building.