Two commemorative blue plaques were unveiled on December 21, 2015 at the Maha Bandoola Park which is located in Kyauktada Township between the Maha Bandoola road and Merchant road. The park is one of the sites which has played critically in the history of the city and also important to the residents. It is adjacent to the famous Sule Pagoda and opposite of the Yangon City hall. The park has always been a venue for cultural performances and public gathering. It is also associated with political movement since the colonial times. The national leaders, including Bogyoke Aung San, campaigned in the park for the Independence from British Empire.
After Independence, the site and the environs were the epicentre of democratic movements such as 8888 Uprising and Saffron Revolution in 2007. When the British planned the city in 1852, the site was left vacant and known as the Tank Square. In 1867-68, the swampy square was levelled and laid out as a public recreation ground. It was named Fytche Square after the Chief Commissioner of the British Crown Colony of Burma at the time.